Under the direction of the Program Supervisor and/or Manager, the Health Educator assists in providing clinic based and group based health education, recruitment and outreach for specified community or clinic based programs.
For the purposes of this position, the CHIP Program Health Educator will be responsible for assisting in the promotion and implementation of the CHIP Program. The Health Educator will conduct outreach and HIV testing and counseling targeting 16-29 year old gay/bisexual/MSM Latinos and African-American's in the South Bay and Southeast regions of San Diego. The Health Educator will recruit and enroll members of the target population into CHIP's sub-program and will implement necessary interventions to 16-29 year old gay/bisexual/MSM Latinos and African-American's. The Health Educator will maintain client confidentiality, follow HIPPA regulations, and respectfully represent SYHC and the CHIP Program in the community.
• High School Diploma or GED equivalent and minimum of 2 years of experience providing health education in group and/or individual settings. OR Any combination of training and experience which would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Examples of qualifying experience include:
• Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor's degree in a health related field and 1 year of health education experience.
• 2 years in a position comparable to Health Educator in a community clinic setting.
• Other combinations of education and experience may be considered
• HIV Test Counselor or any other HIV prevention training.
• Valid California Driver's license and access to an insured vehicle.
• HIV testing and HIV Prevention trainings within six months of employment, if necessary
• Familiarity with 16-29 year old gay/bisexual/MSM Latino and African-American population in the South Bay and Southeast regions of San Diego.
• Experience providing outreach.
• 1 year of experience working with underserved populations.
• Knowledge of HIV (its physical and emotional effects) and community resources.
• Experience coordinating outreach events.
• 1 year of experience working in HIV related field or social services.
Verbal and Written Skills Required to Perform the Job:
• Ability to communicate effectively
• Ability to present in small and large group settings.
• Bilingual Spanish/English preferred.
If interested in the position, please visit our website and submit an application. Once you have submitted an application, please send your resume via email.
www.syhc.org/join-our-team and refer to req#17-0808 or #17-0828